The Jamtown vision sees people in North America creating music with friends and family. Not fancy rock songs or orchestra performances, just a little music. Starting with our motto "Play A Beat You Can Repeat" we make it easy and fun for kids AND adults to join the band. Our instruments are special, authentic, and beautifully crafted. Each is handmade ~ from countries all over the world. Artisans utilize ancient knowledge and natural, sustainable materials like bamboo, gourds, and seeds. For the cost of a single cheap guitar, which no one will use, pass out cool instruments to a group of friends and expect to sound good,and feel good! As a member of the Fair Trade Federation we work with small producer groups from developing countries and provide important support to low-income families through fair wages and other valuable assistance.
About Jamtown World Instruments
What began as a passions for adventure travel and music has blossomed into a business that connects people around the globe, including you! After 20 years, our respect and understanding of other cultures continues to grow more deeply. We work directly with artisans, cooperatives and Non-Governmental Organizations (NGO's) in six countries on three continents. Sales of our instrument provide critical support to low-income families via fair wages, order prepayment, marketing and other assistance. With your help, our partners & their families are closer to achieving their dreams!
Jamtown John, Founder served on the Board of the Fair Trade Federation for 3 years after joining in 1999. He has created two Parents’ Choice ® award-winning products: Jamtown Junior Pack and Sun Moon Star Drum. Jamtown products are available at museums, zoos, toy stores, music stores, specialty retailers, education catalogs and gift catalogs throughout the USA.
Fair Trade Matters!
At Yoga Geek we feel that the principles of Fair Trade mirror the finest principles of the various Yoga and Meditation traditions and practices that we respect. Fair Trade is a global movement that began in the 40’s and exists now as various parallel initiatives throughout the world. Driven by the efforts of Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) and socially motivated individuals, Fair Trade began by providing advice, assistance and support to disadvantaged producers. Fair Trade has come to be a trading partnership, based on dialogue, transparency and respect, that seeks greater equity in international trade. It contributes to sustainable development by offering better trading conditions to, and securing the rights of, marginalized producers and workers.
In keeping with the spirit of the Eight Limbs of Yoga, here are eight reasons we feel so strongly about, and are happy to be offering, Fair Trade products to our Yoga and Meditation communities:
- Fair Trade products are made in safe and healthy working conditions, where artisans receive a fair price and have a voice in how their workplace is run.
- Fair Trade embraces practices that minimize our environmental footprint.
- Artisans take pride in their work. Crafts are handmade, which translates into closer attention to detail and in the end higher-quality products
- By working through cooperative structures, Fair Trade artisans are able to invest Fair Trade earnings in their communities, improving housing, healthcare, and schools.
- Fair Trade products are unique to the places they come from and the people who make them. Farmers and artisans are involved in the entire process, and Fair Trade products reflect the people and cultures they come from.
- Fair Trade gives farmers and artisans control of their own future. They can build their own businesses, rather than working for a middleman, and the profits stay in their communities and go back into their businesses.
- By choosing Fair Trade products, you are not only accessing high quality products, you are making a difference in the lives of the people who grow the food you eat and/or the goods you use.
- Fair Trade prohibits child labor, ensures health and safety measures are established in order to avoid work-related injuries and follows International Labor Conventions (ILO). Workers are guaranteed access to healthcare and community development premiums can be used to provide greater access to /quality of healthcare and education.